The U.S. Open is one of the most prestigious tennis tournaments in the world, and it has produced some of the greatest champions in history. Here is a look at some of the all-time great women’s doubles champions, based on their number of titles, longevity, and overall dominance.
Greatest Women’s Doubles U.S. Open Champions
- Louise Brough and Margaret Osborne duPont (1942-50, 1955-57)
With 12 U.S. Open titles to their credit, Brough and Osborne duPont are the most decorated doubles team in the history of the tournament. In fact, the pair has three times the career titles of their closest competitors. Additionally, they own a likely unbreakable record: nine consecutive titles. Consequently, Brough and Osborne duPont can be labeled the greatest Open doubles team.
- Sarah Palfrey Cooke and Alice Marble (1937-40)
Cooke and Marble formed a powerful team, winning four consecutive titles. Cooke, in particular, was an excellent doubles player, having won a total of nine titles with four different partners. Indeed, had Marble not turned pro in 1940 the Cooke/Marble team might have come close to challenging Brough/duPont as the greatest U.S. Open women’s team in history.
- Doris Hart and Shirley Fry (1951-54)
The team of Hart and Fry appeared in seven consecutive U.S. Open finals, from 1949-55, winning four in a row and as a result cementing their legacy of greatness. In particular, Hart made for a great doubles partner at the U.S. Open: from 1942-55 she appeared in the Open finals with a total of four different partners. However, her only victories came at the side of Fry.
- Martina Navratilova and Pam Shriver (1983-84, 1986-87)
Shriver and Navratilova were an unstoppable force in women’s doubles at the Open, because they were a perfect combination of power and finesse. Additionally, they were both very competitive and always played their best in big matches. In fact, given their dominance as a team, it’s surprising that the don’t have more Open titles to their credit.
CHECK OUT ALL OUR GREAT PODCASTS… CLICK AN IMAGE TO GET STARTED!
Best of the Rest
- Mary K. Browne and Louise Riddell Williams (1913-14, 1921)
- Marion Zinderstein and Eleanor Goss (1918-1920)
- Helen Jacobs and Sarah Palfrey Cooke (1932, 1934-35)
- Gigi Fernández and Natalia Zvereva (1992, 1995-96)
- Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suárez (2002-04)